NYLT: National Youth Leadership Training
National Youth Leadership Training (NYLT) is an exciting, action-packed program designed for councils to provide youth members with leadership skills and experience that they can use in their home troops and crews, as well as other situations demanding leadership of self and others.
The NYLT course centers around the concepts of what a leader must BE, what he or she must KNOW, and what he or she must DO. The key elements are then taught with a clear focus on HOW TO.
Quest for the Meaning of Leadership.
NYLT is a six-day course. Content is delivered in a troop/crew and patrol outdoor setting, with an emphasis on immediate application of learning in a fun environment. Interconnecting concepts and work processes are introduced early, built upon, and aided by the use of memory aids, which allows participants to understand and employ the leadership skills much faster. Through activities, presentations, challenges, discussions, and audio-visual support, NYLT participants will be engaged in a unified approach to leadership that will give them the skill and confidence to lead well. Through a wide range of activities, games, and adventures, participants will work and play together as they put into action the best that Scouting has to offer.
DATE: 23-28 June 2020
LOCATION: Korea, Japan, Okinawa, Philippines, Taiwan & Hong Kong
NYLT Participant Age and Rank Requirements
A NYLT course is ideal for training unit leaders. It can also be a valuable experience for other older Scouts, Venturers and Sea Scouts.
To attend a NYLT course, a youth must have the following qualifications by course start.
- A registered member of a Scouting unit.
- A current BSA Health History and Medical Record form parts A, B, and C.
- Must be at least 13 years old and fall within the maximum age allowance for their program registration. There are no exceptions to the age requirements.
- Scouts BSA must be at least a First Class Rank and complete Introduction to Leadership Skills for Troops while Venturers or Sea Scouts must complete Introduction to Leadership Skills for Crews or Ships prior to course start.
- It is recommended students have had at least one year of camping experience. While NYLT is not an outdoor skills course, it is important that each participant have basic camping and outdoor cooking experience.
- Have a unit leader recommendation.
- Youth Protection Training
- Participants 18 years of age are required to take Youth Protection Training. All participants are regardless of age are strongly encouraged to take Youth Protection training so there is no confusion on the rules while at camp.